Group Class (for anyone)
Lamaze® Childbirth Education Classes
Meet once a week, for 8 weeks, in a group with other local expectant families. These 16 hours of childbirth education will prepare you for pregnancy, birth and postpartum. You will learn about a wide variety of topics including:
- Prenatal & Postpartum nutrition
- Relaxation and mindfulness practices
- Meet Doulas in-person who serve our area
- The normal, natural process of labor and birth, and health-care practices that support it
- The rights of childbearing woman
- Anatomy and Physiology of Labor
- Changes during late pregnancy and the stages of labor
- The important role that pain plays in labor and a wide variety of coping strategies for managing it
- The importance of labor support (Doula/Partner)
- Partner’s role in labor, breastfeeding and postpartum care
- Movement and positioning during labor and birth
- Medical interventions and their indications, risks and alternatives
- Cesarean awareness and how to plan for a gentle cesarean
- How to communicate with your healthcare provider
- Developing a birth plan
- Newborn Care
- Postpartum expectations and self care
- Baby Blues & Postpartum Depression
- Birth Control options and Natural Family Planning (Fertility Awareness)
- Car seat safety
- Local resources to support you during and after pregnancy
You will also receive:
- A canvas tote filled with learning materials and all the information we cover for you to take home with you
- Access to a Network of Birth Professionals, Lactation Support, a resource library, parenting advocates and volunteers.
- Access to a private facebook group only for my students, so you can ask questions of each other, gather support and hear birth stories.
Tuesdays: Jan 9th - Feb 27th, Mar 6th - April 24th, May 1st - June 19th, Oct 9th - Nov 27th.
Thursdays: Feb 1st - Mar 22nd, April 5th - May 24th, Sept 6th - Oct 25th, Nov 1st - Dec 27th.
Length: 6:00pm-8:00pm CST, for 8 weeks. Location: 408 1/2 E Main Ave, Bowling Green, KY, 42101
Registration Fee: $100 deposit (or $350 in full) through PayPal or by mailing a check payable to: Mary Duke, 301 Varment Ln, Scottsville, Ky 42164
Discount: 10% discount for anyone who has hired a network doula.
‼️PLEASE NOTE‼️ if you are due July-Oct, your last class option starts in May. This due to my time off to focus on my birth and baby. I will not be taking on private education students during that time, so the May class is your last option.
Group Class (for dads)
Papas and Pints
Join area Dads and Dads-to-be for beer, wings and appetizers in downtown Bowling Green. This is a "Lamaze For Dads" events, so you can expect a brief Dad-centered introduction to Lamaze along with plenty of time to socialize with other experienced and expectant fathers. You even get a commemorative pint glass!
The next Papas and Pints:
When: Saturday, March 3rd, 6:30pm - 9:30pm.
Length: 3 hours. Location: (Same as Lamaze Classes)
Registration Fee: $35 due in full, paid through PayPal or by mailing a check payable to: Mary Duke, 301 Varment Ln, Scottsville, Ky 42164
Wellness in Your Childbearing Years
For those who are newly pregnant or not currently expecting but could be in the future Mary offers a "Wellness" class. Often referred to as an "Early Pregnancy" course this class holds information pertinent to anyone trying to conceive or preparing their body for the conception period. During this course we discuss the Nutrition, expectations and 10 things you need to know before pregnancy. We'll make sure you leave with an understanding of how to care for your body before pregnancy and during the crucial first trimester.
Popular topics also include:
- How do I interview doctors?
- Is a midwife right for me?
- What birth environment is right for me?
- How can natural family planning help me get pregnant or avoid pregnancy in postpartum?
- What exercises prepare your body for pregnancy?
When: Monthly, final Saturday of month.
Length: 3 hours. Location: (Same as Lamaze Classes)
Registration Fee: $65 due in full, paid through PayPal or by mailing a check payable to: Mary Duke, 301 Varment Ln, Scottsville, Ky 42164
Bengkung Belly Binding Workshops
Bengkung belly binding is the art of wrapping a postpartum women's belly for physical support, comfort and to help hasten the recovery process after childbirth. The Bengkung belly binding technique is rooted in Malaysian culture however various countries and cultures around the world use a form of belly binding to help support the healing process. Women are traditionally wrapped as soon after birth as possible. This belly binding technique uses a long strip of cloth to wrap around the abdomen from the hips to the rib cage. It is far more comfortable than a traditional 'corset' and more effective than the velcro wraps often provided by hospitals.
My Sunshine Birth Services is periodically offering workshops to train families to perform Bengkung belly binding. You will go home with your own belly binding wrap and the knowledge of how to use it. You may bring your birth partner with you so they will learn how to wrap you also.
Benefits of Belly Binding
- Provides support for the torso and organs as they shift back to pre-pregnancy position.
- Supports diastasis recti recovery. Best results when used in the first 6 months.
- Supports the body's natural spine to prevent and relieve lower back aches and strains.
- Prevents slouching while feeding or holding your child to ensure better posture.
- Can help shorten the length of postpartum bleeding and may reduce menstrual cramps.
When: Varies. Workshops are based off interest.
Location: (Same as Lamaze Classes)
Registration Fee: $150 due in full, paid through PayPal or by mailing a check payable to: Mary Duke, 301 Varment Ln, Scottsville, Ky 42164
Signup to get on waiting list. Minimum of 4 couples required to schedule a class.
Postpartum Freezer Meal Workshops
Are you wanting to get your freezer stocked up with nourishing and comforting foods before baby's arrival? Maybe baby is already here but you need to incorporate bulk cooking days into your schedule. I can help! I'm working on putting together a workshop that will send you home with food for your freezer and recipes you are confident you can reproduce for your freezer. This workshop is still in the works, more info coming soon!
Signup to get on waiting list. A minimum of number of students/couples will be required to schedule a class. This number is currently pending based on the level of interest.
How To Reserve Your Spot
Both the group Lamaze® Childbirth Education Course and private Lamaze® Childbirth Education Course require a $100 nonrefundable deposit. All workshops should be paid in full. Payments and deposits can be paid through PayPal or by mailing a check payable to:
Mary Duke, 301 Varment Ln, Scottsville, Ky 42164
Location & Directions
All Classes & Workshops are located in beautiful downtown Bowling Green next to Morris Jewelry. Street parking available on the square. Clean, non-smoking, pet free environment.
All deposits are non-refundable because I hold that spot in my class or on my calendar for you. However, I do make an exception for anyone who suffers the loss of their pregnancy before the class or workshop.